Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Ronda Rousey believes she is an underdog despite unbeaten UFC reign

sports

Ronda Rousey wants to retire undefeated
Ronda Rousey wants to retire undefeated
Ronda Rousey has insisted the odds are stacked against her as she pursues a perfect sporting career.
The Olympic judo bronze medal winner has carved a perfect 11-0 record since transitioning into an MMA fighter and has become the UFC's inaugural female champion, defending her bantamweight title five times so far.
She is likely to be the biggest favourite of all-time heading into this weekend's title defence against Bethe Correia but Rousey has claimed that achieving her ultimate goals remains a distant dream.

I'm a huge underdog. The end goal is I want to retire undefeated and be remembered as one of the most dominant athletes of all time.

Ronda Rousey
"In these individual fights I might be a heavy favourite," she told Fox Sports. "In the end, I'm not a favourite at all. I'm a huge underdog. The end goal is I want to retire undefeated and be remembered as one of the most dominant athletes of all time.
"I want to be that one that retired on top, was always undefeated and walked out because I took the belt off and handed it back because I felt like it was time for someone else to carry it. Not because anyone took it from me. That's the way that I stay hungry.
"The goal is much bigger than than just one person. I'm just breaking it up into bite-sized pieces."
Rousey's judo skills make her an undefeated UFC champion
Rousey's judo skills make her an undefeated UFC champion
The Californian is no stranger to breaking down barriers as the flag-bearer for female combat sports but believes achieving her long-term targets will further establish her legacy.
Rousey has questioned which other athletes, over an entire career at the highest level, could boast the perfect resume that she plans on forging.
Rousey has rarely found adversity in the UFC
Rousey has rarely found adversity in the UFC
She said: "Who's done it before? Who has retired undefeated and been thoroughly dominant their whole career? Rocky Marciano, a long time ago. I can't really think of anybody else.
"There's these athletes that have come up and been really dominant for a period and seemed indestructible, but that time came to an end and eventually they had to retire.
"Even my favourites - they were the best for a time and then it came to a close. I want to have the whole time be my time, and go out on my terms and not someone else's."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More